“A picture is worth a hundreds words” : News!! News!! SCOM 2019 UR2 supports CentOS8 monitoring. In this blog I will explain:
- Pre-Requisites to add CentOS8 box to SCOM 2019 UR2.
- How to add the CentOS8 box to SCOM 2019 UR2?
Official Documentation is available here!
- Make sure you have SCOM 2019 UR2 properly configured in SCOM. Refer to this article in case you have not.
- CentOS8 is provisioned. If you need guidance on how to setup a X-Plat machine in Hyper-V refer to my other blog. ** I used an Azure CentOS box this time around. I will write a blog on how you can manage an Azure box in SCOM.
- Firewall is configured on the CentOS box to open traffic on port 22 and 1270 from SCOM Management Servers.
- DNS entry is updated to resolve the hostname of the CentOS box. DNS entry should match the hostname.
- Sudoers file is configured for SCOM Run As Accounts (Maintenance and Monitoring). If you need guidance on how to configure your sudeors with minimum permission required for SCOM monitoring refer to my other blog.
- Import the UNIX/LINUX Management Pack. For CentOS8 we will need the Universal RPM Management Pack.- Download the UNIX/LINUX Management Packs MSI from here. – Extract the MSI file to get the MP files which you can import in SCOM.** You can chose the location to extract the files. Default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\System Center Management Packs\Microsoft System Center 2019 MP for Unix and Linux\ ** After extraction you will see a bunch of MP and MPB files.– Import the required Management Packs in SCOM. Bear in mind, only import the MPs for the flavors you are using. DO NOT import all MPs, unless you have all versions of X-Plat we support. ** In my case, I am going for Library, Redhat7, Universal, Process and Log file ones. – Wait for some time to make sure the packages are copied to all the Management Servers in the UNIX/LINUX Resource Pool in the installation location like C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Operations Manager\Server\AgentManagement\UnixAgents\DownloadedKits. ** If you do not like to wait, restart the Microsoft Monitoring Agent service on the Management Servers in the UNIX/LINUX Resource Pool. ** After extraction you should see the some SH files like below. UR2 SCX version is 1.6.6-0
- Make sure the SCX certificates are configured properly in all the Management Servers in your UNIX/LINUX Resource Pool. For a new deployment you need to exchange the SCX certificate of all the MSs in the UNIX/LINUX resource pool to the other MSs in the UNIX/LINUX resource pool.
- UNIX/LINUX Run As Accounts and Profiles are configured properly. If you need guidance on how to configure them refer to my other blog.
- Run the discovery wizard and follow the below steps.
- After a few minutes, once all the workflows in SCOM run against the agent, it will be healthy.
- CentOS8 is officially supported from SCOM 2019 UR2.
- For CentOS8 we use the Universal RPM package.
Hope that was helpful! Explore, Learn, Share, Repeat!