Release!! SCOM 2019 UR4 and SCOM 2022 onwards support Alma Linux 8 monitoring.
In this blog I will explain:
- Pre-Requisites to add Alma Linux 8 server to SCOM 2019 UR4 and SCOM 2022.
- How to add the Alma Linux 8 server to SCOM 2019 UR4?
- Make sure you have SCOM 2019 UR4 properly configured in SCOM. Refer to this article in case you have not.
- Alma Linux 8 is provisioned. If you need guidance on how to setup a X-Plat machine in Hyper-V refer to my other blog. ** I used an Azure CentOS box this time around. I will write a blog on how you can manage an Azure box in SCOM.
- Firewall is configured on the Alma Linux box to open traffic on port 22 and 1270 from SCOM Management Servers/Gateways in the UNIX/LINUX Resource Pool.
- DNS entry is updated to resolve the hostname of the Alma Linux server. DNS entry should match the hostname.
- Sudoers file is configured for SCOM Run As Accounts (Maintenance and Monitoring). If you need guidance on how to configure your sudeors with minimum permission required for SCOM monitoring refer to my other blog.
In the above DOC, use the below section. Select SCOM 2019 or SCOM 2022 as per applicable.
Linux – Universal DEB, RPM (Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, Oracle, RHEL 8, SLES 15, Rocky 8, Alma 8)
- The next steps are part of SCOM 2019 UR4 installation. However, these are important so reiterating just in case you have missed them.
i. Import the UNIX/LINUX Management Pack. For Alma Linux we will need the Universal RPM Management Pack. Download the UNIX/LINUX Management Packs MSI from here.
For SCOM 2022, no additional MPs are required.
ii. Extract the MSI file to get the MP files which you can import in SCOM.
** You can choose the location to extract the files. Default location is C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Management Pack Tools\
** After extraction you will see a bunch of MP and MPB files.
iii. Import the required Management Packs in SCOM. Bear in mind, only import the MPs for the flavors you are using. DO NOT import all MPs, unless you have all versions of X-Plat we support. ** In my case, I am going for Library, Redhat7, SUSE12, Universal, Process and Log file ones.
MP Version at the time of writing this article: 10.19.1153.0.
iv. Wait for some time to make sure the packages are copied to all the Management Servers/Gateways in the UNIX/LINUX Resource Pool in the installation location like
C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Operations Manager\Server\AgentManagement\UnixAgents\DownloadedKits.
** If you do not like to wait, restart the Microsoft Monitoring Agent service on the Management Servers in the UNIX/LINUX Resource Pool.
** After extraction you should see the some SH files like below. UR4 SCX version is 1.6.10–1
- Make sure the SCX certificates are configured properly in all the Management Servers in your UNIX/LINUX Resource Pool. For a new deployment you need to exchange the SCX certificate of all the MSs/GWs in the UNIX/LINUX resource pool to the other MSs/GWs in the UNIX/LINUX resource pool.
- UNIX/LINUX Run As Accounts and Profiles are configured properly. If you need guidance on how to configure them refer to my other blog.
- Run the discovery wizard and follow the below steps.
- After a few minutes, once all the workflows in SCOM run against the agent, it will be healthy.
- Repeat the same steps for SCOM 2022.
- Alma Linux 8 is officially supported from SCOM 2019 UR4 and SCOM 2022.
- For this distro we use the Universal RPM package.
Hope that was helpful! Explore, Learn, Share, Repeat!